Friday, November 14, 2014

My Soy Free Chocolate Experiments

Mayday mayday mayday... abort abort!  The chocolate chips have soy, having a reaction.  Mayday mayday mayday! There is much contradictory information about soy, soya, soybeans, soybean oil, soy protein whether it is good for you, safe, not safe, affects phytoestrogens, it will make your head spin. With the assistance of doctor, I found that soy, in any form, and eggs to be a source of many of my chronic issues.  I am not anaphylactic, as yet, but I have an extreme intolerance that effects my thyroid and thus I become extremely lethargic.  I affectionately name that reaction "my soy-induced coma".  After awakening an hour and half later, I still have body aches and pain. 

With my egg intolerance it induces extreme gut pain and body aches. At the recommendation of my, then, doctor and the aftereffects of my body, I avoid them.  If I have eaten soy I have trained my family that when I say "I have to go to sleep", usually at an inopportune time, they let me go.  After all, I have no choice. I absolutely can not stay awake.

Realizing that at least 90% or more of processed food contain some form of soy I have resorted to cooking from scratch.  For me, even using canned soup in a recipe is no longer an option as the majority of the canned soup contain either soy or eggs. 

My recipe experiments resulted in successes and some failures. In California, it was difficult to find "ready made" food I can eat although ingredients were easier to find locally.  With the move eastward and in the middle of soybean and GMO cornfields, the natural ingredients are more difficult to find.  

I am grateful that Trader Joe's, a California based company, is 20 minutes away.  There is also a Whole Foods and Costco in the same area. Yeah! Saved!  Remember that whatever you purchase, read the labels.  Learn the soy derivatives, the hidden meaning behind the words on the labels. The Soy Allergy Group on Facebook has been a blessing.  Yes we all have different reactions, however this resource, because of their different reactions, has been invaluable. Another great source is Maya of Maya's Happy Place who lists many of the derivatives on her January 2010 blog post.  Here's the LINK.

Learning to make chocolate!
I found that "natural flavors" on the label is an indication their may be soy in the product. This is what led to the "mayday call" in the beginning of this post.  The chocolate chips I used to make the cookies, although the label did not state "soy", it read "natural flavors".  I've been using the other ingredients in my baking and cooking and didn't get a reaction. This was the only "new" ingredient, thus my soy induced coma ensued. 

I'm learning to make my own chocolate or use the Enjoy Life brand, which are soy free and processed in a plant without the top allergens.  I found this egg free chocolate chip recipe at Bunch of Cooks and tweaked it to my liking.  I found I needed to add chilled water (a few tablespoons) for the cookie to melt as I had hoped.  I also replaced the white sugar with organic sugar.  I use Wholesome sweeteners Evaporated Cane Juice Organic Sugar which I purchased at Costco in the 10 lb. size.  Since the first few batches I will change a few other things.  I'll keep you posted on my progress and watch that timer or it will be too crunchy. 

Chocolate Bites
In the above photo I was a trying a chocolate recipe.  The chocolate recipe from the Coconut Mama blog gave me hope and let me know anything is possible in the world of making your own chocolate. I like using butter to cut the bitterness of the Trader Joe's cacao powder.  I also like using Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Cacao Powder along with the Trader Joe's brand.  Trader Joe's powder is a finer power than the Navitas Naturals.  Together they make the chocolate a thicker consistency.  I'll keep working at it. A big thanks to Bunch of Cooks and Coconut Mama.  At least I know now I'm not limited in my search for soy free chocolate.  I'm having fun making my own. 

2 comments:

  1. Those cookies and the chocolate bites look wonderful. I never would have thought of chocolate chips having soy - it takes a sensitivity to discover those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most chocolates have soy lecithin. Soy lecithin is used as an emulsifier. I never thought about making my own until I found the Coconut Mama post on chocolate chunks in her cookies. Then I realized anything was possible with chocolate. I also made chocolate with sunflower butter inside.

      Delete