Monday, August 26, 2013

Thank You for Trying Palmolive-Colgate Company!

I must commend mainstream companies such as Palmolive-Colgate Company who have attempted to supply persons like myself with fragrance-free products.  This has not always been the case. When I saw that the product's name was “Pure + Clear”, I decided to buy it.  After all, it was being sold in the 99¢ Only Store; so I had to try it.

After bringing my new purchase home, I quickly found “Pure+Clear” to be quite misleading.  First of all, it is not fragrance-free.  Palmolive-Colgate Company’s website states that this product does not have heavy fragrances. Therefore, they are admitting that it has fragrance. (I detect an apple scent.)  Yet, on the Target website, it may be found in the “unscented” category.  This product is not unscented.   Further, it does not appear to have any dyes, yet the ingredients state that it does in fact have dyes.

Secondly, this product states that it has no unnecessary chemicals.  Therefore, are we to understand that this product contains "necessary" chemicalsIs that pure and clear?  That is a misnomer.  In my mind, no chemical is a "necessary" chemical and should not be labeled Pure + Clear.  One of the "necessary" chemicals is the cleansing agent sodium laureth (2EO) sulfate.  This surfactant, or cleansing agent, is generally found in shampoos, soaps and body washes.  Sulfates strip the skin of beneficial moisture.  This is the reason my skin is extremely dry after using the product.  (And, yes, I know . . . I should use gloves to wash dishes.)

Sodium laureth sulfate can contain 1.4-dioxane which is a petroleum based carcinogen known to cause cancer.  Other ingredients includes: water, sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, lauramidopropyl betaine, lactic acid, SD Alcohol 3-A, sodium xylene sulfonate, fragrance, and dyes.

Consult the Environmental Working Group (EWG) for more information on chemical definitions and safety.

For me, in the Fragrance-free Category, Pure+Clear:  FAILED.

Would I buy again? I would probably not, but that's my opinion.   I wrestle that a product is labeled Pure + Clear when it is clearly not . . . after all, it’s the principle of the matter.  Nevertheless, thanks for trying Palmolive-Colgate Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment