Monday, September 9, 2013

Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap vs. Dr. Jacobs Naturals

I have used Dr. Bronner's Magic "All-One!" unscented baby mild soap for years. In the past, I have used it to wash my hair, clean my bathroom shower and sink, and use it as a hand soap in the kitchen and bathrooms. I mainly use it because it does not have an odor and it is as it says, unscented. Let me rephrase that. It does not contain perfumes or any odor that sets off my intolerance to odors. The ingredients contain castile soap and saponified oils. I do detect an odor, however, and it is probably the plastic container or the saponified oils that I smell. It wasn't until I attended the Natural Products Expo in Anaheim did I find that Dr. Bronner's had a competitor. There I found the Dr. Jacobs Naturals booth. It was the last day of the Expo and the vendor was giving away samples. Of course, I jumped at the opportunity to get a free 64 fl. ounce bottle of their castile soap. Comparing it to Dr. Bronner's soap, it is less concentrated so no need to add water. Although, Dr. Jacobs uses saponified oil, this manufacturer uses different oils than Dr. Bronner's soap.  Since the Expo, I had the opportunity to speak a representative from Dr. Jacobs. She did tell me that their product was less dense as in findings many people tend to add water to the Dr. Bronner's product. That I must agree as I have added water to thin the soap as well. Dr. Jacobs' product was formulated so their was no need for added water. They also supplied a pump to the bottle as their consumers found this essential for daily use. I agreed. The Dr. Bronner's product (product on the left in photo ) has a pump because it was a spare I saved from another product and thought it would come in handy. When shampooing or cleaning the pump comes in handy so as not to unnecessarily waste the soap. One of the things I didn't like about Dr. Jacobs is that they added caramel to the ingredients. I don't know the source of the caramel or whether it is artificial? In speaking to the representative she was to research this and get back to me. As of yet, no response. My second concern to odors is soy. And as I continue to be diligent in reading labels, I find soy in many cosmetic and soap products. So I am still anxious to find the source of the caramel as to whether it is soy based and another ingredient, phenoxyethanol was a concern.

Have you used these soaps in your hair?

Nonetheless, I like both products. I do find that Dr. Bronner's more drying to my skin and hair. I do not recommend it for my 4b/c hair as it is very drying. I have not yet used Dr. Jacobs to wash my hair. At the Dr. Bronner's booth located in the Natural Products Expo, the representative recommended another Dr. Bronner's product that I should use to close the hair follicles after shampooing with the castile soap. In this way, I would not be drowning my hair with too much water. Yes, I found out that you can over water your hair. This product, Dr. Bronner's Organic Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse has a citrus smell so I was hesitant to use it. The instructions recommend that you use 1-2 capsules in water, rinse hair and then use their leave-in conditioner. I was not familiar with the hair rinse prior to the Expo and definitely did not know of Dr. Bronner's leave-in conditioner. I rather not use the hair rinse just because of the citrus odor, however, I did want to know if I would notice a change in the dryness of my hair after using it. The "jury is still out". I could blame it on my whacky thyroid, or that I didn't use the correct amount of hair rinse, but so far, I didn't see a difference. I would still use Dr. Bronner's unscented soaps for other household purposes but as it were I do not like it to wash my hair.

However, I would purchase as it and Dr. Jacobs as they are both good products for household use and good for those who need overall unscented product in their daily use.

No comments:

Post a Comment